• 400g soft tofu
• 500g lean minced beef
• 3 tbsp chilli bean paste
• 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
• 5cm ginger, peeled and minced
• 2 tsp Sichuan peppercorns
• 400ml chicken stock
• 2 tbsp chilli powder
• 2 tsp light soy sauce
• 2 tsp sugar
• 1 tsp white vinegar
• 1 tbsp sesame oil
• 1 tsp corn flour
• 1 tsp water
• 2 tsp salt
• 3 spring onions, finely chopped
• 2 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Toast the Sichuan peppercorns in a pan for around 3 minutes. Transfer to a mortar and pestle and grind well.
2. Bring a pan of water to the boil and add the salt. Cut the tofu into small cubes and add to the salty water. Turn off the heat and let the tofu soak in the water.
3. In a wok, heat the oil over a medium-high heat. Add the garlic and ginger, and sauté for around 2 minutes.
4. Add the minced beef and stir-fry for around 5 minutes before adding the chilli bean sauce and chilli powder. Mix well.
5. Add the chicken stock, soy sauce, sugar and vinegar. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 3 minutes.
6. Mix the corn flour and tsp of water together, and add to the beef mixture. This will help thicken the sauce.
7. Add the ground Sichuan peppercorns and sesame oil, and mix well to combine.
8. Add the tofu and simmer for 10 minutes.
9. Serve with rice, and garnish with the chopped spring onions.
PREP & COOK TIME: 35 minutes
SUPERFOOD: TOFU contains protein which is essential for body repair and muscle growth.