• 500g minced pork
• 6 shallots, peeled and sliced
• 6 tbsp chilli powder
• 4 tbsp sticky rice powder (see below)
• 1/2 tsp sugar
• 1 tbsp fish sauce
• Juice from 1 lime
• Small handful of coriander, chopped
• 20 mint leaves, chopped
• 5 spring onions, finely sliced
• 1 tbsp vegetable oil
1. To make the sticky rice powder: In a small pan, add 4 tbsp of uncooked sticky rice and toast until the rice starts to turn a golden- brown colour. Take off the heat and transfer the rice to a mortar and pestle. Crush under the rice becomes like a fine powder.
2. In a large saucepan, heat the oil on a medium heat. Add the minced pork, breaking up all the chunks until fully cooked through. Turn off the heat.
3. Add the chilli powder and rice powder to the pork, and mix until well-combined.
4. Add the sugar, fish sauce and lime juice and continue to mix. Then add the spring onions, sliced shallots, coriander and mint. Combine all together.
5. Sample some of the laab to test how it tastes. Adjust the flavours to suit your palette, by adding extra fish sauce, sugar, chilli or lime.
PREP & COOK TIME: 20 minutes
SUPERFOOD: Limes contain antioxidants which can prevent kidney stones and reduce risk of heart disease