• 1 eggplant, sliced in half lengthways
• 1 can chopped tomatoes
• 2 tbsp green pesto
• 100g ricotta cheese, mashed
• 30g mozzarella cheese
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• Salt and pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400F/200C/Gas mark 6.
2. Place the eggplant halves on a baking tray and slice the flesh diagonally, like a cross hatch. Season with salt and pepper, and drizzle over the olive oil. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
3. In a saucepan, heat the chopped tomatoes and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for around 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
4. Once the eggplants are cooked, spread over a tbsp of pesto over each eggplant and spread over the tomato sauce on top. The next layer will be the ricotta cheese, followed by placing broken up pieces of mozzarella on top.
5. Bake in the oven for a further 10 minutes, until the mozzarella has melted. Season with pepper and serve.
PREP & COOK TIME: 40 minutes
SUPERFOOD: Eggplants contain phytonutrients to boost your brain activity, and iron to improve bone health.