There are a lot of people who enjoy rainy days. It’s a chance to get the blankets out, turn on the TV, and do nothing all day. But, for some – the change in weather and grey skies can make things more difficult, leading to a decline in motivation and mood. Here’s a few ways to boost your mental health during those gloomy days.
• Sleep. You may lack motivation and feel unproductive, but rainy days provide the perfect opportunity to reset, and catch up on sleep that your mind and body may really need. Don’t see it as lazy. See it as a chance to re-fuel your body – your body will thank you for it.
• Read. There’s something therapeutic about grabbing a book, and sitting next to the window as the raindrops slide down. Reading will help keep your mind stimulated, and take you away from the stress of daily life for a few hours. Choose a book that interests you, and the relaxation will come.
• Get outside. Rainy days don’t need to mean you have to stay indoors. If you can – get outside for a 20 minute walk. Keeping active, even during gloomy days, will help boost those endorphins and improve your mood. Grab the wellies and umbrella and have a splash in the puddles.
• Stay hydrated. This one is a given on any day – come rain or shine. It’s important to keep you fluid levels up. Aim for around 7-8 glasses of water a day. Of course – you can have this in addition to some hot chocolate or tea.
• Connect. Just because it’s raining, does not mean you have to isolate yourself. Connect with family or friends via the telephone or social media. Catch up with loved ones, who you haven’t spoken to for a while. Establishing that relationship, and sharing stories will help boost your mental health.